While xylitol, a sugar substitute, is quite beneficial to humans in fighting cavities, it is unfortunately dangerous and life threatening to dogs. Sadly, the owners of a 2-year-old golden retriever in Wisconsin learned this the hard way when their beloved pup was put down by after ingesting xylitol-laden gum.
Xylitol is a natural sweetener that’s found in chewing gum, baked goods and toothpaste. It can also be purchased as a sugar substitute to bake with or sweeten beverages. It’s not harmful to humans, but it’s toxic for dogs. Even a very small dose of the sweetener can cause serious problems for pups. Ingestion of xylitol by a dog can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar level and damage to liver cells; both conditions are potentially fatal.
In humans, consuming Xylitol as a sugar substitute helps to fight against cavities. The Xylitol lessens the bonds between oral bacteria and sugar and as a result, there is less plaque buildup. The decay-causing bacteria cannot stick to the teeth. Check out the breaking story HERE.
Xylitol in Peanut Butter: WARNING
Like most pups, my dog is crazy about peanut butter! Apparently several brands of peanut butter and other peanut butters are beginning to substitute sugar with Xylitol.
Dog parents be cautioned when purchasing new jars! Please check your peanut butter labels for Xylitol. If it is on the ingredients list please ensure your dog does not consume the product. Besides xylitol, chocolate, grapes, and raisins are also dangerous for a dog, so caution is needed when eating any of these products around dogs.
Read more about this sticky topic HERE.
Latest posts by Dr. Chelsea Pinto, DDS (see all)
- Lip Tie: How It Can Cause Breastfeeding Issues and What Can Be Done About It - February 28, 2017
- Lingual Frenectomy – It’s Not That Scary! Here is Why The Benefits Outweigh the Risks - February 6, 2017
- Breastfeeding Problems and Solutions : The Most Common Issues I See and What You Can Do About Them - January 22, 2017